Wednesday 8 August 2012

My liaison with Helen has lasted four years. Our longevitiy is based on the understanding, one I had very early on, that it would only work between us if she had all the power. This is her prerogative because, in short, we don't get on very well. As a gentlemen, I owe her the power if we are to continue sexual relations. So she will finish with me, have other affairs, then start with me again. While she can occasionally split off her sexual and emotional life, my ability to do so is much greater, if not infinite. As she will always hurt more than me, so I owe her. If that means being summoned to Legoland, fine.

She was on a bench, near The Land of the Vikings. I was happy to see her gazing at people as they passed. Obviously there were no weighty issues going on, I was forgiven. Every adult in the whole place looked stunned with boredom. Helen, in fact, seemed to be the only person with any curiosity. It made her, wearing a denim skirt and white shirt, very attractive. If only we didn't have to speak.

Shall we have ice cream?

She pulled a face. Tea?

We headed for a kiosk. Why do people come here?

So they don't have to talk to each other, she said, smiling. For a moment, we were as close as we ever could be. To keep her in this calm, reflective mood it was best to ask direct, but tangenital questions.

Where are the kids?

She shrugged. You know, I thought I had accepted not having children of my own years ago. But it took me a lot longer, perhaps until recently.

I nodded, appreciating her honesty, but aware of looking as though I had always known this, which I had. She pointed to a patch of grass, near to a wooded area.  As we sat down with our teas, I was lost for tangenital questions so I responded like a therapist.

What does that acceptance feel like?

She looked sideways at me, as if surprising herself. Like a wide open field, she said.  For a moment, we saw the wide open field together. I had always expected my liasons with Helen to survive her other affairs. But for the first time I sensed this wide open field may not include me. If that was the case, I'd accept it. I want her to be happy with someone who loves her. Perhaps I had conveyed my thoughts because, turning to face her, I saw her pupils were dilated. She was aroused. Pressing her skirt over her knees, she stood up. I followed her into the wooded area. There was a large tree on a downward slope. With an ease that was practical rather than seductive, she undid my belt and leant against the tree. I lifted her skirt and put two fingers deep inside her. She squeezed hard. I put another finger inside. We held the position, and breathed evenly, not to orgasm, but as if trying to press our bodies into a memory.

Returning to the grass, we finished our tea. There was a text from Helen's stepdaughter. Where are the doughnuts!!! Making a decision not be sarcastic about her, Helen turned to me, as if confiding.

How's Thom?

Oh, he's  a complete nut case, I said, generously, as if my clever son were much harder work than her thick stepdaughter. And with that, perhaps closer than we'd ever been, I let her go back to them. It's possible that Helen and I will never liaise again, but perhaps I have helped her know her situation and, maybe, that is enough. On the way out, I decided to buy an ice cream.

No comments: