Sunday 8 February 2009

Colin's funeral.

Gareth said the clients can't come. He insists on maintaining proper boundaries, even in death. I feel rebuked, slightly, while noticing, however, that the zeal Gareth puts into insisting upon boundaries, is the very same zeal he puts into transgressing them himself. I really must do some proper spying on him.

Saw Thom this evening. He was quiet, preferring to practice his grade 5 piano pieces. I wonder if he has girl trouble? And then it occurs to me, for all our international pursuit of the finest erotica, would Thom feel at ease telling me about his girlfriends...? Is that possible? Could I have been a more liberal, more, in fact, shameless father? I began to crumple under a wave of stunning dismay. And so he, sensing my disintegration, reminded me of how I, at his age, had failed my grade 4 flute exam. Had not the teacher called my playing 'disturbing'? And so Thom, as only a son is able, saved me from my disintegration, by pointing it out.

I still have that report of my musical failure.

I must frame it. It'll be a reminder of my vocation.

4 comments:

The Body without Organs said...

Why is it we always assume our children to be heterosexual?

Repressed fears? But, i suppose you would know Mr. Therapist.

the therapist said...

Extraordinary, mm. I mean, certainly, I repress all kinds of matter on a daily basis. However, with regard to homosex I think my main fear for anyone coming to their inclination, is that of concern. During those teenage years any differences are intolerable, and those of sexuality are multiplied. The payoff, eventually, is the remarkable leap in personal development that young gay people can achieve, considerably quicker than those of heterosex.

The Body without Organs said...

Personal development? You are quite the optimist, Mr. Therapist. I would have assumed those teen years would produce, if anything, an emotional stunt and an all too fragile identity.

But, i suppose everyone has personal development after visiting someone in a field such as yours... or, as i quote Miller in Sexus, "That analyst has endless time and patient; every minute you detain him means money in his pocket... if you think it pays to fool him then fool him. Who will be the loser? If you think he can help you, and not yourself, then stick to him until you rot"

Anonymous said...

i cannot get enough of all of this discourse. yes, i lurk always.