Wednesday 5 March 2008

I am sleepless for days now.

I can feel a heaviness seeping into my bones, and settling in. I feel it in the hesitation of my flesh, the gap between the thought and the doing. And it's not as if I'm uncertain of anything, if anyone was ever certain, it's me. Where is the centre of the world, if not in my beating heart? Of course, I could bypass this crisis. Increase my use of brandy, a few extra pipes of an evening, anything to create a craving and, thereby, a minor addiction. That could prove a useful distraction to this misery. But I am unlikely to accept that, the metonymic of need, as, finally, satisfying enough. Besides, it would be a dishonour to the soul. No, I have no choice now. I will be attentive to detail, kinder to myself. I will relent a little on the Dante, renew my bowels with Chopin, all the while sitting in the wings, awaiting the shadow of my depression to reveal itself.

5 comments:

Debra Kay said...

Maybe you should just adopt a dog and go for walks.

switch said...

it actually sounds like a pleasant place to comfortably sit...in the wings waiting for a revelation.

the therapist said...

Just pull my socks up, eh, Debra? There is a time and a place for that, I suppose. I have the feeling you are very good at it.

Steve said...

If only we had socks long enough to pull. I would like a sock so stretchy that I could pull it up over my head. The only problem with that though would be that I wouldn't be able to see people walking up to me with knives and chains wanting to stab and beat me.

Now where did I put my valium.

the therapist said...

A sock you can pull over your head...?

You don't mean a dress, do you?