Friday 16 November 2007

Hello you.

You're reading this, oh yes. I know you are.

But that's all I know, isn't it. You know my name and I don't know yours!

Of course, I have some faithful readers and to them I am bound forever. Yet I must also warn these readers that I have received two comments on this blog from someone who, it seems, knows of me and knows my name. They were deleted, of course. The comments were blunt, factual, lacking entirely any style or wit and, therefore, somewhat aggressive. And so I could spend hours ruminating wastefully, pointlessly, on this person who knows my name. I could turn a suspicious gaze on, for example, Gareth. Helen, even. Well, it could be any number of acquaintances or past clients, present clients, family or friends. It could be the agent. In short, I may not know your name and while I may lack in nomenclature, I am well versed in the state of your poor soul. And when I see it next, I'll know it. I'll whisper ashes in your ear.

And so on this, the first day of my recovery, I wake to this dull, this inane and literal minded slug at, at what, the truth? Oh god, not again, grow up. Am I really writing this for someone like you? And what do you think you have on me anyway? I take that back. It wasn't the agent. Unless he did some relentless digging, it wasn't him. I used a pseudonym. Yes, for you I did! Oh, it's all seeping out now. All the bickering of detail, of facts, like a teenager, or a lawyer. Oh god save my soul from the sword, and from children with all the facts!

7 comments:

Steve said...

I have no fact. And for this reason, I make up everything I know about you or care to know.

Don't go, therapist. Keep on writing here.

Don't go.

I think I've probably uttered these words to father at times. Stuck. Stuck.

Steve said...

I love it when you declare things on this blog that any poor senseless homosapien would declare. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Like you're struggling too, and this isn't just another wind-up. Thank you.

Robyn Rinehart Art said...

There are probably many of us out in cyberspace who wander in and out of your life and find your writing fascinating, brave and a bit risky. It's hard to find the balance between over-exposing and neutrality.

I would miss you if you stopped.

Anonymous said...

Ah, feeling for you, therapist. It's a dark night of the soul.

Anonymous said...

well, now what?

Anonymous said...

might it be Thom?

the therapist said...

And I feel warmed, too, and grateful for these notes of support.

A very honest comment, Prozac. I respect that.

As for Thom, a few more years yet before he turns on me.