Thursday 19 July 2012


Yesterday I cancelled my clients. This morning I walked by the sea. But surely that's why it was invented, no? To accompany our moods? It yields to everyone who needs a friend. A friend? I needed a lawyer.

Sweat on my neck. I took off my coat, then my jumper, my trousers, my tee shirt was soaking. Standing on the pebbles, I knew my pants looked ridiculous. Fuck it, I took them off too, and ran crashing into the sea. Why did I not think of this yesterday?

The gulls were screaming. What terrors did they see at dawn? Last nights dream, like a mist trying to condense on my brain, but no. It wouldn't settle. I swam out further, as if the dream lay on the horizon, near the coast of France. The shrill of the gull, pulverising itself. I turned back and began to remember the dream.

I was in a gallery. Musee d' Orsay? It was a Degas nude, one of his women bathers, washing herself in an old tin bath. She was leaning over, scrubbing her back. But I wasn't alone with this Degas. A security guard was standing to my left.

How much does it cost? I asked, as if the saturday boy had forgotten to price it up.

Thirty seven pence, he said. I thought this was probably beyond my means but I knew there was some money rattling in my pocket, so I took it out. Mmm, possibly. Could he see his way to doing it for thirty pence? He nodded, as if resigned. There were a lot of my kind around these days, and if he was going to make a living, he'd have to suffer it. Thirty pence it was. So I pulled out the pennies but the coins were not coins, they were Gareth's teeth. Slowly I counted out thirty of my colleague's teeth, the security guard watched me closely, then scooped the teeth into his own pocket. Carefully, I took the Degas off the wall, nodded again to the guard, and walked out.

I'll interpret the dream later, I thought. And so, feeling as though that were the only thing left in my life, I dried myself with my pants.

Who goes there? An early morning jogger with his headphones. How many cocoons does a man need? But even he is sweating, the drops falling into his tragic mouth.

No, I have to face Helen. I mean, what's the fuss. We've been friends, colleagues, lovers. What's a grab and a feel, next to that, all that history?What's the worst that can happen? And she has a big heart, Helen. Under a certain legal demeanour she has a wide appreciation of human need, and it's excess. But I did wonder, as I threw my pants back into the sea, that maybe she reserves that grace for her clients, possibly not her friends, definitely not her lovers. I really was in the shit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been a bit suspicious of the sea. All that water. What's it hiding down there...

the therapist said...

Absolutely right. But careful, everything we say of the sea we are saying of our unconscious. Dull but true.