Thursday 21 June 2012

George called, saying he had waited thirty-five years for this phone call.

What, this one? My mind was racing with every misdemeanour, until I remembered I had only known him six years.

No, with my sister. She just called and said sorry, at last! After all these years.

The quiver in George's voice was something new, a fearful crack.

What's she sorry about?

The past, he said, the past. I should never have given up teaching. I could be Head of Department by now, I know I could! Why did I do that...? Why was I so stupid...?

Having answered his own question, he was silent. What could I say?

We soon hung up but the crack in his voice stayed with me, like the awful noise of an animal that does not know it is not dead.

I went to bed alone knowing, as ever, that while capable, I must have as much sex as possible. After a few moments that felt like nonsense, but I don't remember why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear of Happiness

Looking back, it’s something I’ve always had:
As a kid, it was a glass-floored elevator
I crouched at the bottom of, my eyes squinched tight,
Or staircase whose gaps I was afraid I’d slip through,
Though someone always said I’d be all right—
Just don’t look down or See, it’s not so bad
(The nothing rising underfoot). Then later
The high-dive at the pool, the tree-house perch,
Ferris wheels, balconies, cliffs, a penthouse view,
The merest thought of airplanes. You can call
It a fear of heights, a horror of the deep;
But it isn’t the unfathomable fall
That makes me giddy, makes my stomach lurch,
It’s that the ledge itself invents the leap.

the therapist said...

Thank you, Anon.