Friday 30 January 2009

Gareth cries.

Our first response to Colin's death was a race of adrenaline (somewhat buffered in my case by a glass of O), but by lunch Gareth and I were tired and weepy. There have been times, in experiential workshops and seminars, where Gareth and I have played the game, and hugged each other. There was always a tension in his back, and neck, as he entered the huge, albeit artificial generosity of my embrace. But today, alone, we rose to our vocation and hugged with neither intention, nor history, and it was good.

Later, I rang Colin's clients. Aside from the couple he was counselling, they all wanted to come to his funeral. Of course, my first instinct was to push them away saying, actually, you don't know anything about him. And yet, for all our talk, it's in the gaps we learn. They may not know the details, but very probably his clients know him as well as anyone. I shall let someone else decide.

Goodbye Colin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the details.
the bendy bits, quirky cavities and abandoned patios.
yes.

Steve said...

Oh those final two words. It's like Death meets The Weakest Link.