Sunday 13 July 2008

I've taken up fishing, by the by.

Thank the lord for silence. But am I welcome here, I wonder? Will the old life have me back?

I've always wanted this, an endless horizon, the enveloping vista.

And that's Caroline! Have I mentioned Caroline? I saw her today. She was sunbathing on deck in the most unlikely weather.

Indeed, I currently have temporary residence of Axel's new boat, moored in the marina of my usual stamping ground. As I am renting out my own house (including a premium for the walls of erotica) so I find myself homeless. Of course Axel, the errant and rather elderly son of Austro-German industrialists, is on a four week tour of the Pyramids and he extended the generosity of his vessel to me, in the main, due to my bereavement. And so it was, pushing aside the slovenly mackeral I caught earlier in the day, I took to wondering if I could just storm back into my home and throw out the imposter. After so many months away I long to reclaim my life, my home, my possessions and while my tenant is, apparently, a Swiss diplomat, the only thing that stays my hand is remembering the sticky divorce he is suffering. As men of a certain age, we must look out for each other.

Ah, Dad.

Dad.

And Caroline, on deck, smoking at the moon. It's ten now. She'll turn in soon, snuggle up with Jeff. And as it darkens, we'll let the waters lap around us.

1 comment:

Steve said...

It's good to have you back. I need something to do these summer evenings apart from drinking beer, drawing, and listening to Radio 4.

How do you know you don't have a life?
ANSWER: You know you don't have a life when you REALLY HAVE listened to every fucking programme on the Radio 3 and 4 listen again page. Including Gardener's Question Time.