Sunday 4 November 2007

Dad.

I noted the dust on the handle of the zimmer frame. Clearly, he'd rather fall over and piss himself in style rather than use the zimmer. In denial over his capacities, he insisted on the walking stick. While he was in the kitchen, I had an impulse to try out the zimmer. So, imagining myself my dad, I took a few steps. I was as smooth and intent as a crab, yet had to focus hard on my feet to ensure I was enacting this for his benefit, not some perverse role play of my own agenda. I put the frame away and on cue, my father entered with two cups of tea. Later he made a third cup, leaving me alone in the lounge with the District Nurse. I was pleased to note that she was a robustly attractive woman. Her job had clearly depressed her needs in relation to men and I sensed, contrary to her desire, every voice she used was, finally, a professional one. My father was spending too long in the kitchen and, unable to fathom what he hoped I'd say to the nurse, I returned to the safe, yet animating topic of her teenage sons. In speaking of the ambiguity of their behaviour, I sensed the return of her hidden libido and, finally, as father returned, I knew I'd nurture this further, in my evening's fantasy. However, splayed out on the sofa, the scenario took a long while to elaborate and I must concede, I had not anticipated how central my father's role was to my final, belated satisfaction. I awoke in the same subterranean mood as the fantasy, noting the handle of the zimmer and the claw hands that, finally, had used it in the night.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Espero que su hijo/a haya podido descansar y tenga muchas energías para iniciar este segundo periodo del año escolar.

Steve said...

Been thinking about this post for a few days.

If you are who you say you are and this is autobiographical, I feel for you and want to keep reading.

If you're just (just!) a very clever writer creating a completely fictional world, hoping for Literary Agents to bang on your door, I don't.

It shouldn't matter, but it does.

The hard part is, I'll probably never know one way or the other.

Steve said...

Actually no. It's got nothing to do with wanting to keep on reading. But it's got something to do with wanting to 'like' and 'identify' with the writer behind the screen.

If you are a real, then you are a splendid human creature.

If you are a spinner of tales then you're a....

the therapist said...

Mmmm...And quite right, too. You pick up a novel, you suspend disbelief, but you you always know it is a novel. You have uncertainties about me, Prozac, and due to the anonymity of the blog which is and will remain essential to it, I don't think I can ever give you the need for verification you seem to require, and yet I sense this need has other connotations to it, perhaps related or perhaps not to the ontological insecurity of which we spoke before. In fact, this is the second time we have trod this ground and we will get no further, not least because I feel no special need to prove myself. Again, I feel there are aspects to this of which I am unaware.

Regards.

Anonymous said...

prozacville, you should know by know we are all constructions of ourselves. So what's the real bit you want?

J in London.

Steve said...

Dunno, J in London. If you're anonymous, how can you also be J. in London?