Tuesday 18 September 2007

Mmmm.

Last night I took a quarter pipe to bed and imagined life without my father. All I saw was a glacial emptiness, a nuclear coldness, and yet possibility, too. But when was that ever lacking? I suspect I am entering the most deranged phase of my life. In the morning, my watch had broken. I immediately wrapped and posted it off to my horologist in London and then, trying to stun myself awake with a Turkish coffee, the signs slowly dawned. I was in the garden, a child. The voices of beautiful women. The terrible coldness. And then the fear my father would ruin it, his fierce love, and then the fear that he wouldn't. I drifted to another place, perhaps Eliot's rose garden, and from there to the unlovely decision to run my hard nails down Helen's cool arse.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words are so re-readable... I've found that a rare thing in this blog-eat-blog world.

Steve said...

Hear, hear!

the therapist said...

Thank you both.

One of the good things about middle age is that accepting compliments has to, and does, become easier.

Steve said...

It's 'nice' to offer compliments. It's 'nice' to accept.

Niceness all round.

Have paused Bergman's Wild Strawberries to comment, seems necessary to say.

Anonymous said...

but does middle age teach you to accept insults any better? It doesn't seem to have taught me much...

J

Steve said...

Insults sting. Any age. The great thing about being a therapist is you can always reverse the charge of the insult so that it electrocutes the giver.

INSULT: "You're a mess."
THERAPEUTIC REVERSAL: "Aah, what you're actually revealing there is your own inability to deal with anything that impinges on your concept of 'normal'."

It's a rare talent. Spin doctors have it too and that's why we hate them.

the therapist said...

And so what it is about yourself, J, that is so terrible that it cannot admit a compliment...?

the therapist said...

This is a new tone to your voice, Prozac. I begin to get a sense of how creative you can be.

regards.

Unknown said...

It's the word "cool" before "arse" that lifts this from mere posting to the level of great literature.

Anonymous said...

Dear Therapist

Who said I could not accept a compliment? Are you trying to insult me?

I can accept compliments. Try me.

the therapist said...

Dear Anon,

reflect on your qualities, and give yourself a compliment.

regards.

Steve said...

Ah twelve comments. It's a pleasurable form of accumulation ain't it, therapist?

Even when most of the commentary whitters on about the commentator rather than the work being commented on.

This is generally how conversation works anyway, doesn't it?