Friday 7 September 2007

It was an unremembered dream and led me down the stairs and sat me at my table, half asleep, staring again at the Nude Maja. Within the beneficence of my half consciousness, I saw what I wanted. A woman posed, luxuriating within, the wisp of light rising from the plexus to a blaze of numinosity over her breasts. I was then, as yesterday, as complete as the Maja. But as I made coffee and had an unresolved shit to the wailing of a godawful Stockhausen, the irritant that woke me stirred again. Was she really so numinous as all that? There's a sharpness, a working intelligence in her eyes, a consciousness of self that has no connection whatever with her wonderful, naked body. And yet, as I went back and forth from the print to the toaster, I could never agree on the extent of this duality. It differed every time I looked. So, stuffing the print in my bag, I drove to work and tried to think of Helen instead. And, of course, all of this was very likely about Helen but, frankly, I was now more concerned with Goya and knowing I had rendered my projection, made no difference.

It was hopeless. Between clients I stared and stared again at the print. I heard Helen's footsteps around the house, but failed to imagine her. All day I was lost in the hinterland of that picture, assuming a subjectivity in the Maja, negating it, only to honour it again, negate it again.All the while my dick stirred and I did nothing. No thing. What I did instead was spend four hundred quid on two tickets to the Prado, Madrid. Thom and I fly out in the morning. We'll return to the source, the original, and I'll have done with the duchess who has ruined my peace.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Similarly. A man does not buy a ticket for himself and his nine-year-old son to shoot off to Madrid to see a painting.

I doubt his mother would let him go even if you wanted to take him.

But it's a good novel, as novels go.

Anonymous said...

the mother of my thirteen year old is pretty like the therapist described. bizarrely, I probably could take him to Madrid at short notice as long as I usually got him home for his bath. an hour late to do something local - no chance.
Once again, the therapist is more true to life than you might think.

Go for it. Living on the edge of your constant despair makes my life seem worth living...

J in London

Steve said...

Mmm. Well maybe he has gone to Madrid, cos he ain't posting.

Still, this could just be a ruse to make us (whoever you are a-nonny-mouse) think that he's there.

the therapist said...

Ah, my dear Prozac, your denial of my reality is just another chord in the oedipal overture we have established.

regards.

Unknown said...

I followed him to Madrid but he never went to the Goyas...the kid dragged him to the Bosch room

Steve said...

I suppose the fact that I feared you might not return to the blogosphere is another chord in that overture?

Steve said...

Glad you're on the case Nads.

the therapist said...

The Bosch, if only I'd known...

Another chord, certainly. Desertion, that's a piece unto itself.