Monday 10 September 2007

I recognised the handwriting and so, having no early morning clients, I took the post and a small brandy into the garden. I shifted my rickety bench a few inches as some creepers were binding round the backrest, but also the better to view the neighbour who sometime last summer seemed to enjoy pressing her breasts against her bedroom window. I once stood behind her at a checkout, counting the freckles on the back of her neck.

The elderly impress of the handwriting was my fathers. He explained, in his simpleminded way, that in sending me a copy of his will he didn't intend to cause distress, merely to clear the air. As an only child I hadn't expected difficulty to arise, and a quick check at arms length confirmed, happily, that the dwindling estate was completely mine. Yet I was so resistant to seeing my old Dad crying for attention, that I'd gladly have handed over the whole inheritance to the neighbour, naked or not, just for a quick glimpse, anything to distract me but the demented letter had sent a curl of guilt rising from my belly and so, within seconds, my years of training wholly redundant, I was in the bathroom fastening on my cock ring and making some very pertinent phone calls.

I spent two hundred forty pounds. And in this way, having smothered one guilt with the cloak of another, I got through the day.

7 comments:

Steve said...

'The elderly impress of the handwriting'. This is writing to savour, as you did that brandy. Thank you.

Steve said...

Brighton? Fits the clientele.

the therapist said...

In seeking definition, I sense hope for you, Prozac.

Steve said...

There is hope for all of us, therapist. The question is how we define aforesaid hope.My hope might not match yours, and vice.

Steve said...

OK, it IS Brighton. The one good thing about me being a young, and therefore technologically less-inept whippercrapper is that I have obviously installed monitoring codes on my blog which allows me to see the
'name' of every computer that logs in and where it's logging in from. Your computer is registered to an NTL address in London.

Is not any relationship a process of detective work, therapist? You Sherlock-Holmes your way into my psyche, and I slowly find out your more physical and geographical particulars.

the therapist said...

I may, at times, disparage psychotherapy but it is still my livelihood...

Watch what you do, Prozac.

Steve said...

Don't worry, have no intention stalking you, either cyberwise or otherwise.

I'm an upstanding member of the fucking community I'll have you know!

As no doubt are you...(shudder, or maybe...celebrate?)