Monday 24 September 2007

Hoping for greater things, I took an undifferentiated shit to the sweeping, elegiac scape of Bax's 1st symphony and so, with Gareth on the prowl and feeling heavy and ponderous, I left for work with no inclination for anything other than stimulants. I considered calling my dealer, K., but seeing Helen drive past and certain she'd seen me, I carried on to work and promptly made a strong, albeit instant coffee. Later, as I meandered down to the Classical Longplayer, I had a moment of synchronicity that would have made even Jung proud. I spotted K. on the street, wearing his favourite anorak, and about to enter an antiquarian bookshop. He looked unusually present and was bearing a carrier bag of hardback books. Was he buying or selling? My uncertainty over this irrelevance led to a renewed surge in the desire for stimulants. I went to heckle him but stalled, taking a savage mouthful of apple instead. Not wanting to approach K. on the street, I decided the only way to appease my need for drugs was to secretly ascertain the titles of the hardbacks he was reading and so, disposing of the core, I slipped quietly into the bookshop. K. would have been oblivious to a bomb, so it was easy to peer over his shoulder, noting his distinguished, if elderly hands. Heaving with delight, I left the bookshop feeling refreshed, invigorated to know of his passion for 19th century Egyptology. I returned to work a balanced, temperate man. A therapist, no less.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I can believe almost anything.

But a highbrow drug dealer?!

the therapist said...

Your ability to believe almost anything speaks well of you, Prozac. But your doubts about me are very precisely the doubts you have of yourself.

regards.

Steve said...

Spot on. As per-fucking-usual.

Bastard.